When a foreign citizen wants to temporarily visit the United States, they must first obtain a visa. If a foreign citizen is coming to the United States as a tourist, to visit family or relatives, for medical treatment, or to conduct business, they must first get a visitor visa. The visitor visas (B-1/B-2) are non-immigrant visas, meaning that they have expiration dates and you must prove to the U.S. government that you will leave.

To qualify, an applicant must prove that they are not going to stay past their visa’s expiration and abandon their home country. You must prove the purpose of your trip to the United States, your intention to depart after the designated period of time, and that you will return to your home country.

There are factors that weigh in favor of the foreign citizen and those that are not in their favor. It is highly advisable to consult an attorney before applying to the visitor visa process. The DS-160 application is complex and can be a minefield at the consulate interview if the application is incorrectly answered, even if by mistake. The consulate interview requires preparation.

Call our firm today to schedule a consultation about how to approach the visitor visa process.

Hablamos Español. (512)265-8989